Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Burnished Gold

Normally, I don't go for gold tone finishes on home furnishings and fixtures. Something about gold metals and gold-painted furniture seems too opulent for most settings outside Versailles and ends up looking out of place in your average modern-day home. However, I came across this biomorphic console table from Baker in the latest issue of Elle Decor, and I think it's mesmerizing.

Staring at this table, I want to climb inside the magazine so I can touch it. The organic "biomorphic" curves remind me of Henry Moore sculptures, Noguchi coffee tables, and Joan MirĂ³ paintings. Is it just me? Is anyone else inexplicably drawn to this table? For the record, I'm sure this console would also stand out next to my vintage/CB2/Ikea living room decor, but in a really good way.


2 comments:

  1. I think it's always good to mix it up a little to keep things from getting too predictable. There's something about all the curves and hidden crevices that's appealing about this table, which is more like a piece of sculpture. Not sure I'd want to place a can of Coke on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like a beautiful sculpture. I am afraid to look at it's price.

    ReplyDelete