Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Year My Voice Broke

I thought I'd do a post on The Year My Voice Broke because it is finally available on Netflix. I first saw this film about 15 years ago and fell in love. It's a coming-of-age story about an awkwardly romantic teenager named Danny and his best friend, Freya. Set in 1960s Australia, the backdrop is starkly beautiful, and there are enough twists and turns to keep the plot interesting. But perhaps more important in a coming-of-age film, the tone never ventures into maudlin territory (a trap many of its peers often stumble into), and the pacing feels just right. Also, Noah Taylor (Danny) is perfect and probably the biggest reason I have watched this movie many times.

Here are a few screenshots in random order. Don't worry, no spoilers here.



The Year My Voice Broke is the prequel to the more widely seen (and fantastic) Flirting, in which Noah Taylor returns to star opposite Nicole Kidman and Thandie Newton. A third installment was planned but never filmed.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great, I'm so glad it's available on Instant Play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check it out. I love old movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been years since I've seen Flirting but I loved it! I had no idea there was a prequel. I'm definitely going to check it out!

    xo,
    melissa

    ReplyDelete