Thursday, December 22, 2011

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Oh, how we love the sparkle of things! It's no surprise that we seek out reflective surfaces this time of year when daylight is scarce.


There's a video on Etsy's blog on the history of glitter that's quite interesting. Check it out if you've ever wondered at our preoccupation with shiny things. I think it's an innate human attraction to light and, therefore, objects that reflect light. From the time we're babies, we reach out for any object that shines (I've had many infant nephews and nieces grab for my necklaces and earrings). And I'm not sure we ever really grow out of that. As much as some protest and disdain glitter, deep down inside, they can't help but feel attracted to it.

I personally seek out light and reflections of light all the time: in art, in objects, in my surroundings. It's not hard to find if you look closely, and your day will be better for it, I promise.

*post title is a quote by Chekhov

2 comments:

  1. I do love me some shiny things! I need to check out that video!

    ReplyDelete