Thursday, December 15, 2011

The tags! And the tinsel! The trimmings! The trappings!

It's easy to get stressed this time of year with so much going on: making travel plans or preparing your home for out-of-town guests, taking final exams or meeting work deadlines, buying gifts, decorating, being forced into enclosed spaces with your family. It's a lot to handle. One thing that has never stressed me out, though, is wrapping presents.

I was always the designated gift-wrapper in my family from the time I was a little girl, I guess because I was deemed the "artistic one," or maybe just because no one else wanted the job. I have many memories of sitting on the floor in front of the TV surrounded by piles of boxes, ribbons, and bows. I even wrapped my own presents; how sad is that? My mom would just say, "Wrap this, but don't look inside it." So tragic.

Anyway, I thought I'd share a few of the things I've been wrapping lately. I've already told everyone likely to be getting a present from me not to read my blog for the next couple of weeks, so I shouldn't be ruining any surprises.

How cute are these baby socks? The socks and onesies I bought came in packs of three, which is really convenient because they're going to triplets(!), my boyfriend's nieces. The blue monkey is going to one of my baby nephews; I got two this year!

Lots of stuff from Etsy: handmade soaps from Ranchman's Soapery (I've never tried them before; I have bought soaps from Sweet Petula for my mom in the past, though, and she loved them); a vintage Swedish Dala horse from Dipper Vintage; a print from Nan Lawson;

a 2012 Paris calendar from Alicia Bock;

and an Instant Comfort Pocket Box from Kim's Little Monsters. Packages full of awesome Etsy stuff keep arriving every day; it's actually fun to get the mail right now.

And I made a photo album for my brother full of pics I snapped of his family last Christmas. I think he's going to love it. If anyone's curious, I used Blurb, and I think it turned out pretty well.

The book itself looks better in real life; my camera was doing weird things the day I tried to take photos.

I know that Christmas is about more than presents (I've seen How the Grinch Stole Christmas! many times, thank you very much), but buying a gift for someone that you know is perfectly "them" is the best feeling, don't you think?

6 comments:

  1. What great finds! I love that Paris calendar. The feeling of finding THE gift for someone is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! some people are going to be REALLY happy this Christmas :)
    I love that wrapping paper - too nice to tear up!!
    Visiting via EBT, best
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome gifts! I love the instant pocket comfort box.

    And you're right about the rush from finding THE gift for somebody. It's part of why I like this time to year so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really cute presents! i love wrapping presents as well, i always put on christmas music when i wrap, and i take the trimmings (bows, ribbons, etc) very seriously, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to our shop! The dala house looks to pleased to be with all the other wonderful Etsy items!!

    -Eliza Dipper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you found some really great gifts on Etsy. Sometimes I myself become kind of Grinchy at Christmas time- Don't get me wrong I love giving to people, but I live in an area where it seems 'handmade holidays' are a thing of the conglomerate past. :(
    {{I'm working very hard on bringing it back!}} :)

    Megan K.

    ReplyDelete