Monday, March 19, 2012

On Seeing (take 3)

(via The Citrus Report)

I couldn't agree more. This pretty much sums up why I will always prefer hand-drawn, hand-painted, handmade...because in that spot where the line isn't perfect, there's a heartbeat, an exhale, a personality. My favorite paintings are often those with visible brushstrokes, where you see the path of the artist's hand. Everything they put into that work of art is right there on the canvas. I'm not against modernization, and I know that technology affords amazing possibilities for artists. But I never feel as emotionally connected with digital art or animation where no hands got dirty in the making, so to speak.

And even though I know Margaret Kilgallen is speaking about art here, seeing beauty in imperfection is a good philosophy for life, no? Think how much happier we'd all be if we learned to love our perceived waverings.

Read the first On Seeing and take 2.

2 comments:

  1. As artists we are so hard on ourselves. Getting more comfortable with perceived imperfections is good advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Honestly, who has time to make everything perfect anyway? You'd just end up driving yourself crazy.

    ReplyDelete