Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Bits of December

I love the color coordinating going on with these two houses I passed the other day; presents wrapped with pompoms; a pretty sunset on the water; and a day of marathon wrapping...I lost count of how many hours I spent cutting and taping and pompom-making. Usually I try to start shopping and wrapping earlier in the year so that I'm not doing it all at once, but this year we were super busy right up till the deadline of shipping!

Wrapping up things for the shop too; I bought this book for my niece (really loving the Rifle Paper Co. editions of classics); packing up pastel orders with pastel washi tape; and I snapped a quick photo of the tree in Old Town when I was doing some last minute shopping.

Christmas decorations, which still haven't been put completely away this year; I made lots of pretty ribbon ornaments; a polar bear ornament that sold at the craft show I did mid-month; and snail ornaments...all completely hand-stitched.

A special order hedgehog ornament; sending off this mushroom notebook (I might need to make more mushroom things because I really loved this one!); embroidery floss sent to me by my sweet pal Dawn; and Christmas things on the mantel.

This is my last Instagram wrap-up post of 2014, of course, and I'm wondering if I should keep doing these posts? When I started doing them, I had a lot of readers who weren't on Instagram, and since I often post things over there that I don't post here, I thought it would be nice to do monthly IG collages. But now it seems like more people than ever are using Instagram, possibly more than even read blogs? So what do you guys think? I don't want to be one of those bloggers who posts the same content on 12 different social media accounts because that gets old quick.

Hope everyone is staying warm out there. It is super cold! We got a lot more snow than expected this morning, and the roads are a total mess. So I'm staying inside today and editing some photos from recent (and not so recent) adventures to share with you guys soon. :)

P.S. If anyone wants to follow me on Instagram, my username is @my_hideaway.

17 comments:

  1. Your gift wrapping skills are superb! That paper is adorable, I love it!

    I know what you mean about the Instagram blog posts, I don't know. I love IG and look at it alot but it doesn't mean I get to see everything.

    I like these posts because I like your photographs. :) Sometimes it's nice to see them all together like in this post. I follow you on Instagram but I don't remember seeing all of these ya know? So it's nice I can still appreciate your images here but if it's a lot of work putting them together and you're not into it anymore, then that's up to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! And you're right, I follow a lot of people on Instagram too, and I do miss a lot of posts because I can't be on my phone all day, as tempting as that may be. Every once in a while, I'll think, so-and-so hasn't posted any photos in a long time...only they have, just not at times when I was on my phone, so I definitely miss a lot and I'm sure other people do too.

      Delete
  2. Your instagram always cheers me up. I'm obsessed with that first photo, of those two buildings!

    I actually don't usually love when people do Insta-roundups (and I felt like people weren't really into mine so I stopped, ha) but I really look forward to yours! I think it goes really well with your blog anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! Oh I love your IG feed too! Like today for example, we got 5 inches of snow unexpectedly, and it's freezing...well, actually many degrees below freezing, so when I scroll through IG and see your gorgeous beach photos, and flowers and farmers markets and stuff, I can pretend for a second that I'm actually really very warm. :-)

      Delete
  3. eep that hedge hog is adorable! i too have yet to put away many christmas decorations. that's what this weekend is for, right? plus, i heard that jan 5th is three kings day and you're supposed to leave your decor up until then. so we're only one day behind today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three Kings Day, you say? That sounds good, I'm going with that too. Haha. That makes me feel better that I'm not the only one! It just always seems a shame to me that I only get to see all these cute things once a year for a couple of weeks, and I always have to force myself to put them all away. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your pictures and your cute critters! I don't use instagram so pictures here are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AnnMarie! I figured there were probably folks not on Instagram still so that's good to know. :)

      Delete
  5. Although I do think that IG has "taken over" blogging in many ways, and I already follow you there, I like these little recaps because I so often miss things on Instagram when I don't have time to scroll through my entire feed. Also, I LOVE your wrapping! Those poms are so cute. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Yeah, I've watched a lot of bloggers I really liked quit blogging in the wake of pinterest and IG in the last year or two. I get why it doesn't make sense for a lot of folks, though. We all only have so many hours in the day.

      Delete
  6. I haven't joined IG because between blogging, facebook and pinterest I just don't have time to post somewhere else and keep up my shop and the rest of my life. I love your ornaments. Especially the hedgehog and polar bear. Also enjoy your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words! And I agree. That's why I'm not on facebook. Too many social media outlets makes me feel spread too thin, so I focus on the ones I like. :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with everybody who likes to see recaps on blogs. Even though I follow you, I still miss things because I tend to only scroll back a couple of hours whenever I hop onto IG.

    Aren't those Rifle Paper Co. books amazing? I want them allllllll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige! And I can usually only go back a couple of hours on IG before it stops. I guess I follow a lot of people (or just people who post a lot). Sometimes I wish it would show you more photos in your feed, but then again, I would probably get sucked into looking at IG all day, and that would be bad! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my goshhhh so much pretty in this post! Loving the rainbow washi tape + notebook and the "day of marathon wrapping" especially! :)

    <3 Kelsea | Kels Shark

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind seeing things here and on Instagram. More than likely, I'll check one and not the other and miss things somewhere. Besides, I like coming back to your blog and seeing photos from your adventures/doings over the past month and then going back to look at other photos.

    Anyway, I hope that the floss is of use to you! :) I had a whole bunch after the cross-stitch projects that I made. (Ty got a "Blues Brothers" one, my best friend got a "Night Vale" one, and my mom got a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! And I was happy to see that your rowhouse notebook sold! It was so pretty, and I'm glad that someone gets to write in it now.

    ReplyDelete