Friday, September 25, 2015

Colorful Leaf Garland + 10 Things I Love About Fall

Felt Garland
Handmade Fall Leaf Garland

Hi guys! Sorry for the radio silence this week...been feeling a bit under the weather. But that hasn't stopped me grinning from ear to ear that it's officially fall. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new season. I started making this colorful leaf garland a few weeks ago when it was still 90 degrees outside because I just couldn't help myself. It's super easy if you'd like to make your own...just draw some simple leaf shapes on whatever paper you have lying around to make templates for cutting your felt (or you can skip this step and cut your leaves free-form if you don't mind them being a bit irregular). Then just sew your felt leaves together in a running stitch with string or yarn in a complementary color. (I also added a couple of felted balls to finish the ends, but I'd say that's optional.) That's it! Sit back and enjoy your cute window! :)

I know every blog and website right now probably has the same "top 10 things that are great about fall" list, but I don't mind at all because I truly love everything about this season. So here are a few things I'm excited about:

1. The obvious one: sweater weather. I CANNOT WAIT for cozy sweaters and tights and scarves and layers oh mah gah ahhhhh.

2. Pumpkin everything. It's like a drug to me this time of year. We've already had some pumpkin muffins that were sooo good.

3. Candles. I've been on the hunt for the perfect fall candle. I'm not a huge scented candle person in general as a lot of them smell sort of sickly sweet to me and give me headaches, but this year I'm determined to find one I like. (If anyone has suggestions for fall-scented candles that aren't overpowering, please share!)

4. Driving out of the city when the leaves change. We drove out to the mountains last year, and it was so gorgeous...I actually just got a roll of film developed from that trip last fall, so look out for another SOOC post in a day or two.

5. Halloween! I'm already trying to convince Peter to watch scary movies with me (he hates them haha). I can't wait to see cute jack-o-lanterns on porches and ghosts and witches peeking out of windows. And dog costumes! Who can resist a cute dog in a costume?

6. Warm drinks. I'm a coffee drinker year-round, but I like to mix it up every now and then in the fall and throw in a chai tea or a pumpkin spice latte...a decision I sometimes regret about 10 minutes later when I feel sick, but that's never stopped me before, and it won't stop me this year either. :)

7. Baking! I don't know about you, but I try to avoid turning on the oven when it's 100 degrees outside, so that means I don't do a lot of baking in the summer. But a warm kitchen on a chilly fall day? There's no better place. Add to that fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger and the whole house smells amazing.

8. Fall crafts and decorating. (You knew that would be on the list, right?)

9. Going for a walk when the air is crisp and energizing and leaves crunch underfoot.

10. Cozy nights. Bring on the Netflix marathons and good books!

I could probably keep listing things all night. There are actually a few fall traditions I don't really get, though, like hayrides in pumpkin patches, but maybe that's because I've never done it before? Am I missing out?

Tell me your favorite thing about fall! :))
xo, Mary

1 comment:

  1. While I'm not quite ready to let go of summer, fall is such a beautiful time of year. I will miss shorts and tank tops, but I do love a comfy sweater :)
    Your garland is so cute!

    ReplyDelete