Friday, April 6, 2012

DIY Scribble Flowers

Here's an easy tutorial for pretty paper flowers that would make perfect Easter decorations or centerpieces at a laid-back diy wedding (which of course, is my favorite kind of wedding).

What you'll need: tissue paper in light colors, something to color with (I used oil pastels, but you could use crayons or markers too), scissors, clear tape, craft or school glue, wooden skewers (you could also use chopsticks, anything long and thin), and optional washi tape or stickers (you could also use green floral tape).

Cut a long strip of tissue paper (the entire length of the sheet wide, and maybe 3 inches tall) and start coloring. I just made random marks in gradations of color, but let your heart go wild here. :)

Once you're finished coloring, turn the paper over and roll it up so that the colored side faces out.

Cut the top of your roll in a rounded or pointed shape, whichever you prefer; this will be the shape of your petals. Make sure you cut it deep enough for your petals to fan out a bit. Then, roll the paper back out flat.

I didn't get a photo of the next step, but it's easy. Place a little glue right inside the edge of your paper and place your skewer on top, about an inch from the bottom. Start rolling it up again, but this time roll loosely, gripping the base around the skewer and shaping the top as you go. The base will be tighter than the top, of course. Place a little clear tape around the bottom of the flower to hold it in place. Cover the clear tape with pretty green washi tape or floral tape.

And that's it! It only took me a few minutes to make four flowers; you could make several bouquets or centerpieces in the time it would take to watch a movie.

Happy Friday, guys! And Happy Easter to those who celebrate it. xo, Mary

3 comments:

  1. This is adorable!

    Cute blog, looking forward to reading more! I came across your blog on the Etsy blog team.

    I'm your newest follower!

    Elvira

    my blog: http://allpatchedupquilts.blogspot.com/

    my Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AllPatchedUpQuilts

    ReplyDelete
  2. They looks so cute! I will try making them with my daughter :)
    Happy Easter, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look awesome! I am not crafty at all so when someone says they've got an easy DIY I am usually pretty skeptical, but I do actually tihnk I could manage these - so thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete