Friday, July 25, 2014

The BIG Maze

Last weekend, Peter and I went to check out The BIG Maze at the National Building Museum, and it was a lot of fun. I have a pretty terrible track record with large mazes, and this one was no exception. We kept running into dead ends. The whole theory that if you keep your hand on the wall the whole time, and it will lead you out, did not seem to work. There was a mom and toddler on a similar track, and she joked that if we were following the little one we wouldn't get very far. That might have been true, but she was nevertheless really cute and highly entertaining. Once we'd gone all the way through, we went up several floors to view the maze from above. I guess you could look at it from above first and then memorize the path through, but that's sort of cheating, right? Also, it's a little fun to get lost for a while. :)

The BIG Maze at the National Building Museum in Washington, DC
The facade of the National Building Museum in Washington, DC
The interior of the National Building Museum in Washington, DC
The interior of the National Building Museum in Washington, DC

The Building Museum is so huge, it's the perfect location for something like this maze. I should warn you, though, that it's not cheap; non-member adult tickets are $16 and kids are $13. Peter and I are used to free activities here, so that seemed like a lot to pay. But we hadn't done a large maze since visiting hedge mazes in Europe years ago, so it seemed like an ok splurge. And it was fun.

I have more photos from the weekend, but I think I'll save them for the next post. And I have new notebooks to share soon! Happy Friday, everyone! xo, Mary

6 comments:

  1. How cool! And your photos are gorgeous. I'm super claustrophobic so I'm not sure I could handle a big maze like that! I may have to force myself someday though, just to say I did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw one of these when we visited Colorado. Some of the family went, but I watched from above. I think something like this might freak me out a bit...lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, and the Maze is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That building has the most gorgeous details! And the maze looks like fun, also, the watching from above part could keep me busy for quite an amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You find so many fun things to do in DC! This really makes me want to plan a visit soon to do some stuff. I'm definitely gonna bookmark that museum. 16.00 is pretty high but it might be worth it to play in the maze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's probably weird that I'm getting stressed out just looking at these pictures, haha. I got lost in a little maze inside of a haunted house once, and clearly that traumatic memory has stayed with me! The building itself is obviously worth a visit, though. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete